Thursday, September 25, 2008

It DOES exist!


I've never been a super big fan of meatloaf. To me, it has always had kind of a middle-America, unhealthy diet, bad taste in food connotation to it. It is a food which my admitted food snobbery has not allowed myself to get into. Well, brand me and call me a Texan, 'cause I found a boot scootin' good recipe for the cowboy in you!

It's not so different than other meatloaf recipes all together, but something about it is just...right (and I don't mean right like most of middle-America). And now I must admit, when done right it is very satisfying, high in protein, and pretty easy to throw together since I usually have all the ingredients on hand.

The most important things about this recipe are using high quality ingredients (like grass fed beef), and having the right sides (tonight that was baked beans, roasted yams, and a good spinach and apple salad- how fall is that?). All who were at the dinner table agreed that the meal was exceptional, so I thought I would share it with you. The only thing I might change would be using oregano instead of parsley (which I did) and adding a bit of worechestercterchirechire sauce (which I forgot to do). So here you are, and enjoy!

Meat Loaf

2 1/2 pounds ground beef
3 eggs
3/4 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup grated parmigiano
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped parsley (or 2 teaspoons oregano)
1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
pinch of red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients. Pack firmly into an oiled loaf pan and bake for about 1 hour. To test for doneness, insert a skewer and push, looking for clear liquid.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Annika,
I just discovered your blog a little while ago and I love it! I needed to tell you that you brightened my day with that meatloaf video :)
Ashley Jackson

Naka and Raj said...

Oh, Ashley! I love you and I've been thinking of you all the time!

The Saunders said...

you can tell I am overly tired because I had NO IDEA why you posted the meatloaf video until I saw Ashley's comments and put it together. I think it took me seeing the word "meatloaf" to figure it out....silly me. Have fun with mommy and daddy!