Saturday, September 13, 2008

Getting Introspective

So here we are watching the news and worrying about the war and hurricanes when all of a sudden a train crashes in LA. That's Los Angeles- not some third world country with a bad government, but a single city that probably generates more money and technology than all third world countries put together. I still can't believe it.

Because I knew someone on that train who didn't make it, today has made me a bit shakey. However, I knew I was due for a blog no matter how trivial food may seem today. And then I realized- food is not trivial. That's one of the main reasons I love food so much.

Food has power to change moods, to make people feel comforted, feel special, feel giddy or even excited. This, by the way, is why I get so angry when people pay no attention to what they eat. Food has the power to be something special each time we put it in our bodies, but instead we mindlessly consume crap that we don't even like that much.

Anyway, one of the reasons I love being a baker so much is because it's for people. Sweets have not always been something that almost everyone (dietary restrictions excluded) can have. I consider it a blessing to treasure- among all the other blessings in our lives. I know some people can't have sweets or don't like sugar that much, but I am in awe of people (usually women) who just never treat themselves ever. It's just so worth it to me to be maybe a pound heavier than I want to be if it means rejoicing over the gift of having taste buds! I am thankful for it!

Of course, when tragedy strikes it is important to pray for those who are hurting. All the while, we need to remember the gifts that we are thankful for and that bring us joy.

Whether it's eating this:



Or walking into my bedroom and seeing this:



Or better yet, walking into your house and seeing this:

1 comment:

The Saunders said...

ahhhh annika,
I have not been checking my favorite blogs lately. In light of all the tragedy, life has been....heavy. And so I finally sit down and "catch up" on your blog and end up smiling. You really are a lovely person.