Friday, June 26, 2009

Hail to the Grads


I am soooo proud of my sister! She has worked incredibly hard for the degree in nutrition that she earned. Congratulations to any other graduates that may be reading this.

I feel like the topic du jour for people graduating, as I'm sure it is often, is what next? My sister certainly doesn't know exactly. She knows that she wants to be effective in the world and heal people through food, but by what outlet?

I find it interesting that my sister and I both developed a passion for food in our early adulthood, but in different ways. Like her, I have an interest in health and wellness, but I also have a bit more of a weakness for sugar and refined flour! Perhaps she nourishes the body, while I nourish the soul?? I must give props to Bastyr University, because what they are doing in the areas of nutrition and natural medicine is truly special. It's the yin that this very yang society of western medicine needs.

I would venture to say that a good number of students in culinary school, or any other school dealing with foods, has some sort of nurturing side. Sure there are other personality types in the culinary field- artists, type 'A' chefs who want to climb to the top....but I can't see how anyone would want to serve people food without having a certain caring side of his or her personality.

Going to culinary school was a very special experience for me. I once talked to a girl in my class about what she wanted to do when she finished. "I don't know," she said, "I just want to feed people." When I really think about it, I finished with my pastry degree almost three years ago, and I'm still wondering to myself "what next?"

Just like most degrees, culinary and nutrition degrees are only the very beginning of the journey. There are limitless directions to go from there. The most important thing is to never stop learning! It is fun to already look back at what I have done since finishing pastry school. I am excited to see where my sister goes, also!

No comments: