Monday, February 21, 2011

The Chicken Debate Continues

NPR today was talking about Measure 1130- what I like to now call, "The Great Chicken Debate." They had two guests on the show; Paul Shapiro, the senior director of the factory farming campaign for the Humane Society of the United states, and Greg Satrum, vice president of Williamette Egg Farms.

I know I am biased, but in my opinion Greg Satrum's arguments didn't hold water. To sum up, they were:

1. It's a more extreme measure than any other state has enacted.
2. It would mean we had to change 95% of the egg farming industry
3. It would mean that egg demand might drive the prices up to $5-$7 per dozen.

He meant the arguments to be negative, but to all those points I say: I know! That's why I like it!

I can't figure out how to get a podcast onto this blog, so here is the link to the whole discussion. It's very interesting. (If you want to skip the first part, you can fast forward to about 2:50)

No comments: