Sunday, January 11, 2009

Organic Junk Food


I enjoy good food, ooooh yes I do.  And I detest low quality food.  Today I am here to break stereotypes.  No, I'm not going to tell you that something low quality is actually good, but rather that there are higher quality versions of these common foods that you, yourself can buy! Some of these things I love.  They are not fancy or gourmet by any means, but they can still be healthy (ok, sometimes), organic, grass fed, all natural, and made with care.  If what I'm saying is confusing you, let me give you my list of simple foods that I just happen to love.

-Microwave popcorn
-Hot dogs
-Toaster waffles
-String cheese
-Ground beef tacos
-Cereal
-Pizza
-Sea salt and vinegar Kettle Chips
-Pre packaged oatmeal

Raj and I jokingly call this stuff "organic junk food."  Except in my opinion, most of those foods listed are a perfectly fine as long as fruits, veggies, and greens are added on to it.  Some you can even eat as much as you want to!  Except the sea salt and vinegar potato chips, which still have as much fat and calories as regular ones.  But I can't eat too many anyways, because the vinegar makes my lips lose feeling.  

So don't feel guilty if you eat a hot dog.  Just buy an organic one, or at least all natural, and eat it on a whole grain bun.  Add organic ketchup (which has 5 times more nutrients than conventional ketchup and no high fructose corn syrup), and eat with broccoli and pineapple.  Now that's a complete meal! Wow!

String cheese is commonly low in fat and high in protein. It's a great snack, and I like to eat it a bit of ham around it.  My my!

I know that giving myself an extra 45 minutes in the morning to boil steel cut oats is better for me, but I also know that it's never gonna happen.  That's why I'm glad I can get "just add boiling water" packets of unflavored oatmeal and add a bit of maple syrup and banana.  Oh joy!



1 comment:

The Saunders said...

Whenever Joe needs a treat (of the food variety) I get him a bag of Sea salt and vinegar kettle chips :) Only If the amount of chips he eats in one sitting is any indication, I don't think the vinegar affects his lips!