Friday, January 09, 2009

My Rainy Day Off


For the first time in a loooong time, I have had the chance to take a day and do only what I wanted to do all day.  I wish that Raj had the day off also, so we could spend the day together, but sometimes it's nice to even do the things that he doesn't enjoy as much as I do.  For example, using a Christmas gift certificate on a facial, and spending close to two hours piddling around the aisles of Target.  After I finish this blog I plan on going through my home decor magazines and cutting and pasting pictures in my book of inspiration.  Also, I am going to sit down and read my new Gourmet magazine.

But this is food related, I promise!  Since this is a day for me, I wanted to eat something delicious.  I also didn't want to spend much time or thought on it or leave the house.  It just so happens to be one of those "what the heck is there to eat?" kinda times in my fridge where there happens to be a lot of random ingredients, but no real meals.  When I was standing and staring at my fridge, I was inspired by a leftover baked chicken breast, and  I came up with the perfect mathematical formula for a great chicken salad sandwich!  Just for you!

Annika's "what the heck is there to eat?" Chicken Salad Formula

-1 leftover chicken breast shredded or chopped- baked, roasted, boiled, whatever
plus
-1/4 cup fruit sensible for chicken salad diced very small- apples, pears, grapes, or you could use dried fruits also.  Get creative!
plus
-A scant handful of any chopped nuts if you want them
plus
-1 teaspoon whatever herb is sitting around from the package you bought when you only needed a tiny bit and now you don't know what to do with the rest (this happens to me ALL the time)
plus
-About 3 tablespoons of mayo, 1/2 teaspoon salt, a good grinding of pepper, and a scant teaspoon of whatever mustard you may have

Mix it all together and put it on whatever bread you have, with whatever greens you may have, and you have a healthy, yummy sandwich!

No comments: