Monday, December 27, 2010

Greetings from California


For most of you, I'm sure, these past few days, and weeks even, have been very busy ones. It certainly has been with my family. On top of the normal Christmas festivities, I have a new brother who has never seen Los Angeles, it has been raining enough here to not even feel like Los Angeles, and we've got a big wedding reception happening here at my parent's house on New Year's Eve. This is the first time I've even had the chance to sit down and tell you how my Christmas was- epicureanly speaking. I tell you, I was pretty tempted to come to the computer with a glass of wine, but instead I opted for this amazing new tea that my aunt gave me.

There hasn't been that much cooking on my part since we've been here. I've been in vacation mode, letting my mother take the front seat while I happily tune out my loud family and wash the dishes after (not sure when dish washing became therapeutic for me...)

As the previous blog mentioned, on Christmas there were lots of vegetables to be roasted- leeks, brussel sprouts, carrots, and green beans. I forgot to add that to go along with the green bean casserole that I wouldn't make, there was creamed corn to not make also. Good thing I had already tried Edna Lewis' recipe for corn pudding on Thanksgiving and knew that it was delicious (and a perfect substitute). Based on the happy reviews, I think this is a holiday repeater. As a matter of fact, I think maybe it should only be made on holidays, since there is pretty much no excuse for having that much fat and starch in a dish any other day of the year. By the way, I think the secret to making it good when corn is not in season is to get extra cobs and only cut off the tender, sweet tips of the kernels.

And speaking of fat and starch, I am so glad that my friends in Seattle love me enough to not send me bucketfuls of delicious desserts. My mom is not so lucky, and I was forced to help her consume much of what was given. I definitely feel a pudge that was not there two weeks ago...I doubt I'm the only one.

No comments: