Monday, November 08, 2010

Being Lavished Upon


I have yet to convince my husband of this idea, but I am a firm believer in the "Birthday Week." That is, rather than just celebrating your birthday and feeling special for a day, take that happy feeling and turn it into a week. Now, this doesn't mean having a party and getting presents every night like Hanukah or anything. I just try to do something each day, no matter how small, that makes me happy. It could be anything from a latte from my favorite cafe' to a walk through a beautiful park.

Keeping that in mind, it's not even my birthday yet, and already I feel like I have been lavished upon by my friends and family. I have been taken to Salumi for lunch, to the Harvest Vine for brunch, and been baked a delicious home made apple crisp (by a friend who doesn't like to bake, mind you). Tomorrow (my actual birthday), I am being taken out to lunch, then for dinner my sister is making me a meal of my choosing (I asked for lamb burgers and home made yam fries, by the way). Wednesday I am being taken to afternoon tea at the Queen Mary Tea Room, and then finally Saturday we are going to Kell's Irish pub for an actual birthday get together of dinner and drinks and music.

Also, even before my actual birthday I have been given some incredibly thoughtful gifts. One friend gave me my favorite chocolate bar, and blew me away by tracking down and buying saomao- the fruit that I had in Cambodia and loved. Another gave me a delicious gourmet cupcake.

Do ya think people know I love food?

But you know something I love more than food?....PEOPLE! As fun as all these shared meals, gifts, and festivities are, I feel sooo blessed to have all these people who love me enough to take time out of their days and busy schedules to spend time and celebrate with me during my Birthday Week.

Here's to a week of fun!


No comments: