Monday, September 06, 2010

Moussaka, Moussaka, Moussaka!


For those of you who don't know much about my personal life, my sister married a Greek man exactly a year ago next week. This past year has been an incredibly frustrating emotional roller coaster as we have been waiting (and waiting...and waiting...) for George's immigration to go through. Now FINALLY the wait is almost over. His interview is in Athens on September 15th, and he should be here by the end of the month! (Good vibes, everyone, good vibes...)

I can't imagine what it must be like to move on the other side of the world- especially from a place where the food is so good (Greece) to a place where McDonalds is still considered a treat (the US). I have been brushing up on my Greek food to help my brother in law feel at home when he comes.

I started yesterday with Moussaka. (what is moussaka?) I used a recipe from a Greek cookbook, but it was missing some of the essential elements that I remember eating when I was there. Because of this, I won't give you the recipe I made- although it was still pretty dang good. Next time I will make this one here. If you make it, don't substitute ground beef for ground lamb. It's just not the real deal. Nor is it as healthy.

Don't be put off by how many steps there are. It's no more labor intensive than lasagna. Not to mention it's a big recipe and will last you at least two meals. And it's better the second day, so it all works out. Worth it!

No comments: