Friday, May 29, 2009

Oh, Seattle, you're such a tease!

Until I moved to Seattle, I had never experienced seasons (I know what you're thinking, but I don't consider Indiana as having seasons. It had only two times of year- snowy and humid. Also, I try not to think about Indiana as much as possible). As much as I would love to live in a place that was 75 and sunny year round, I do so love the changes of the seasons. It's a way of letting you know that you're life is continuing on, reminding you that (turn, turn, turn) there is a time to snuggle in and rest, and (turn, turn, turn) there is a time to experience regrowth, and (turn, turn, turn) there is a time TO GET OUT IN THE SUN!!!!

Normally, at this time of year in Seattle I am still eating soups, slow cooked meats, granolas, and lots of cooked vegetables. In other words, normally, at this time of year in Seattle it's still winter. We have been ever so fortunate this year to have had an absolutely beautiful May- and I don't mean beautiful on Seattle's terms where it's sunny but 45 degrees, I mean beautiful on my terms. Nearly every day has been full sun and over 65, the last week being in the 70's, and today even hit 80 (which is about as warm as it ever gets here)!

I am amazed at the way the body adapts its cravings as the weather changes. Even though I had not generally grown up this way, it did not take me long to learn the joys of seasonal eating. And now, in the midst of a 75+ degree week, my body has ever so quickly become ready for summer foods. I am now totally in the mood for home made ice cream, fresh salads, fish, grilling, fresh fruit, grilling fresh fruit...not to mention I am generally just so much more happy at being able to go outside and tend to my little zuchinni plant (more on that later). I am WARM! Yippee!

Of course (here comes the pessimism), I know this is not going to last. June is often the gloomiest month of the year in this city, but I am oh so grateful for the happy May I've had. Just like the rest of the changing seasons, it has made me ready to move forward and think about what to cook next!

No comments: