Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I almost forgot to tell you

As if I didn't have enough reason to look forward to my trips back to California...


I have established a new and most enjoyable tradition. It's called the Euro Pane Bakery, and it's in Pasadena. I guess I should back up a lot....waaay back.... to my hair dresser, John. As far as hair dressers go, I love him. So much so that back while I was in college for four years, and in the almost five years I have lived in Seattle, I still plan getting my hair done around my trips back to California. It feels very posh, by the way, to be able to say, "Oh, yes, I fly down to LA to get my hair done." Kind of Oprah like, really. But I'm getting off topic.

You see, around the corner from the salon is the little Euro Pane Bakery. From the front it looks like it could be any of those odd, non descript mediocre cafes that simply litter southern Cal. I would have never walked in had my wonderful stylist not recommended it. My first impression was absolute shock when I saw this:

A real live bakery! One that knows how to make real live artisan breads! What I wish I had was picture of is the pastry case full of amazing looking sweets, croissants, tarts, etc...They don't look fancy or anything, just absolutely delicious like someone seriously knows what they're doing. The decor and the staff had absolutely no pretense (pretensiousness is a big problem with most good food establishments in Seattle). It was just good.

Second of all, take a look back at the menu above, if you can read it. Those are sandwiches served on their in-house made breads. Ooooh so good. And if you don't believe me, ask the twenty people that were in line in front of me.

Now every time I make the trip to Pasadena beautify myself, I swing by the bakery and get whatever I fancy at that time. Last time they had a roasted beet and goat cheese tart that was pretty much the best thing I've ever put in my mouth. They don't have a website. The best I could do for you is this page here, but it's got all the info you need.

1 comment:

The Saunders said...

Yummy, why oh why can't places like that be available around every corner???