Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Current obsession: the apple

"If you're not hungry enough to eat an apple, then you're not hungry."

We live in a world where everything has been done somewhere at least once. Chefs try desperately to think of new and inventive ideas to keep people on the edge of their dining chairs. Restaurants plow through fads the same way Dior and Gucci circulate fashion- lemongrass flan, curried chocolates, you name it. And just as the present dominance of leggings, denim dresses and clogs prove, everything comes back around at some point.

If there was an official least cutting edge and creative food the apple would be it. How is it, then, that I am just discovering how wonderful and apple can be? Is it coming back around?

Even as a child, I didn't prefer to eat them when I had the choice. Most of what I know about apples I learned in my seventh grade science project "Does an apple a day really keep the doctor away?" In this research, I gleaned that apples are about 80 calories and that they may better help keep the dentist away, because they can serve as nature's toothbrush.

Why, then, am I suddenly in the past couple of weeks reaching for a Pink Lady every time I feel hungry? I'm not talking about tarts, or pies. I'm just eating fresh, juicy, crisp apples. My fruit bowl is overflowing with Fujis and Braeburns, which I am grabbing every time I leave the house. I have no explanation for this. But as long as my prevailing choice of snack food costs roughly 75 cents apiece, I think I will ride the wave and enjoy!

I feel like this guy:

1 comment:

Unknown said...

yes! They are the perfect snack. And they are perfect when you have kids. When Elinor was teething she would gum an apple for hours, and now its great when she is eating constantly and I don't want her eating carbs all the time