Saturday, August 30, 2008

Giving In

Something I've been working on a lot in my life is acceptance of things that I cannot change.  What clearly stands out to me here in Seattle as something I can't change is the weather.  As I type this, some people are sweating out the hottest parts of the year in their regions.  Here it's 64 degrees, I am wearing sweats, and the trees outside my kitchen window are turning red.  Dare I say it? It's fall.  

I did not have fall as a child.  It's a season that was foreign to me until I went away to college. I have to admit, there is something a little enchanting about this time of year.  The air changes and the trees really are beautiful.  Here are a few more things that make me excited about fall:



- Sweaters
- Fireplaces
- Blankets
- My birthday
- FOOD




Yes, fall food is definitely my favorite, and as I try to hang on to anything that can keep me from wallowing in the fact that summer was roughly 3 weeks long I must think of food!  I have more recipes stashed in the fall food category than any other.  

Baking is also much more fun in the cooler months.  We don't have air conditioning, and when I turn on my oven in the summer it gets HOT!  Did I mention my kitchen was 90 degrees when I made those flower cupcakes a couple of weeks ago?  Anyway, my oven basically acts as a heater in my house, and that's actually really nice when I want a heater.

I think that if it weren't for food I would probably spend 10 months out of the year yelling at the cloud layer that is perpetually covering this city.  Thankfully, I always have something to look forward to (namely, cooking) and think positive about (namely, eating).

Ok, God, I've learned acceptance.  Now can you please make it hot again?

1 comment:

The Saunders said...

Don't give in too much.......if you do, you may never come home.