Wednesday, August 13, 2008

An Amazing Culinary Career


Seattle has an unarguably great food scene. So many people in this city are into eating out that many chefs have become celebrities. One of the most famous is Tom Douglas, who I am so tired of hearing about that there's no way I'd write about him. But if Tom Douglas was a big time movie actor, there would be a very noteworthy indie-film star lurking in the underground.

Tomorrow is the opening for the long-awaited Cascina Spinasse, the new restaurant by Justin Neidermeyer. His culinary career has had him cooking at restaurants around the city like Sitka & Spruce and the late Pian Pianino. I haven't eaten at either of these places, but from what I've heard, Neidermeyer is somewhat of a "noodle genius." He has made this culinary career by hand making all of his pastas, and cutting and cooking them to order (the definition of artisan). To give you an idea of just how good this fresh pasta can be, the Stranger (which is not a periodical I normally use) quotes Bethany Jean Clement, saying, "Until you eat some of Neidermeyer’s noodles, you can’t know how encouraging this development is for the neighborhood and the city. Picture that scene in Lady and the Tramp, with you at one end of the noodle and, I don’t know, God at the other."

Spinasse sets itself of right in the middle of trend central on 14th in Capitol Hill. The location used to be a vegan dive called the Globe Cafe. Apparently tastes in that neighborhood are becoming more sophisticated.

I can't wait to try this place, though I might wait a couple of weeks until the hype has died down and the wait's not so long. Until then I will look forward to my plate of tajarin in beef ragu!

Spinasse
1531 14th Ave E
Seattle, Wa 98112
206-251-7673

Hours:
Sunday & Monday, Wednesday & Thursday 5pm-11pm
Closed Tuesday
Friday & Saturday 5pm-12am

1 comment:

The Saunders said...

well you will have to take me there when I come visit. i have a hankering for some good non franchise food.