Thursday, January 15, 2009

A Quick Note


Hello! I am just stopping by to tell you what I've been up to....You see, since the holidays I have been in quite a food slump. Ya know those times when you walk into the grocery store and know that you need food, but still have no idea what to buy because you are totally uninspired? Well, that's how I've been, anyway.

I have a little confession to make. Last month I wrote a quick note about Ms. Edna Lewis, the late and renown southern chef/ cookbook author. Well, although I have heard the name of Edna Lewis many, many times, I had never actually read any of her books. Until now.

The other day I order through amazon, The Taste of Country Cooking, and now I can officially say this is a MUST HAVE for any household. Even if you don't cook. Seriously, I have been taking it to bed with me for my night time reading. It is one of the most beautifully written books I have ever read- let alone cookbooks. Ms. Lewis supplements all of her amazing recipes with stories about the way things were. It gives me that kind of cozy feeling like I had when reading Little House on the Prairie as a child. It makes me want to be living on the farm, harvesting greens and eating them with the ham and biscuits and home canned peaches that she writes about. I want to be the little girl in Freetown, Virginia, making apple pie with mama and serving it with coffee to the guests that come by the house.

But don't take my word for it....read the book yourself!

No comments: