Monday, January 19, 2009

Leftover Spaghetti


This week will be simple and straightforward. The theme is fun things to do with leftovers. I was inspired when I made one of my favorite dishes (the recipe for today). Though I love it, I always thought it silly and unrefined. That is, until Raj took it to work the next day for lunch, and called me because a few women in his office saw it and wanted the recipe.

And so, with this recipe and others for the week I honor the recessionista by wasting not, and still doing it fabulously!

Note: There's something about this recipe that is so tasty. The spaghetti gets all crunch on the outside, and the eggs make me feel like I am eating more than just carbs for dinner. Especially if my leftover spaghetti had ground sausage or something like that in it.

Pizza di Spaghetti (by Giada De Laurentis of Everyday Italian)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup whole milk
  • 1/2cup grated Parmesan, plus extra for garnishing
  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 cups leftover spaghetti with olives and tomato sauce, recipe follows
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

In a large bowl, beat eggs, milk and Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper. Add leftover spaghetti and combine well.

In a large 10-inch non-stick skillet, heat extra-virgin olive oil over medium heat. Add spaghetti and egg mixture, spreading evenly and pressing down in pan. Cook until golden brown, about 8 minutes. Carefully invert onto plate, add a little more oil to the pan, and slide mixure back into skillet and cook the other side for 6 minutes. Turn out onto serving platter and cut into wedges and serve warm.

No comments: