Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Leftover Zucchini


I can't find it, but I am absolutely sure that somewhere along the line I shared with you my recipe for vegetable pancakes. Whenever I get out my Cuisinart food processor to do any task (in this case grate veggies), I like to make sure it is worth my time washing and cleaning all those darn pieces afterward. In this case, I always (whether purposefully or accidentally) grate a bunch of extra zucchini. This way, I can make zucchini bread and the hardest (or most annoying, anyway) step is already done!

You don't really have to use this specific recipe for your zucchini bread. The only thing I require in my humble opinion is that it has HAS to have pineapple in it to make it worth eating. This one does.

Zucchini Bread with Pineapple

Ingredients

3 eggs
1 cup olive oil
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups coarsely grated zucchini
1 can (8oz) crushed pineapple, drained
3 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup raisins

Method

1 Preheat oven to 350°F. In a mixer, beat eggs. Add oil, sugar, and vanilla; continue beating mixture until thick and foamy. With a spoon, stir in the zucchini and pineapple.

2 In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg. A third at a time, add dry ingredients into wet and gently stir (by hand) after each addition. Add the walnuts and raisins, blend gently.

3 Divide the batter equally between 2 greased and flour-dusted 5 by 9 inch loaf pans. Bake for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in to the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Turn out onto wire racks to cool thoroughly.

Makes 2 loaves.

1 comment:

The Saunders said...

I love zucchini bread, but I have never had it with pineapple in it. What about it makes it so much better? I will try this recipe!