Monday, May 22, 2006

Quorn and Spinach Curry with Fennel Seeds

I was looking today for a recipe for a Chicken and Spinach curry, which I planned to convert into a Quorn and Spinach curry. Whilst searching I became aware that I wasn't finding the correct recipe as I had something very specific in mind, and it occurred to me that I should simply devise my own recipe. I wanted something that had a variety of fragrant and "spicy" flavors, and something that used yoghurt to thicken the curry.

Here is what I created:

2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion -diced
3 cloves garlic - chopped
1 inch ginger - finely chopped
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp Fennel Seeds
1 tbsp turmeric
2 tsp chili flakes
1 tbsp ground coriander
6 cardamom pods- bruised
1 bag quorn pieces
1 16 oz bag spinach
1/4 pint vegetable stock
Handful cashew nuts
1/2 pint yogurt
1 handful coriander

1, Heat up the wok and add the olive oil. Add the onion, ginger and garlic and fry until soft. Add the spices and stir fry a further 2 minutes.

2, Add in the quorn and cook until defrosted. Add in the spinach, stock, cashew nuts and yoghurt. Cook for a further 20 minutes until the flavors are well combined and most of the liquid has evaporated.

3, Serve with freshly chopped coriander, and maybe a dash of lime juice.

I served it alongside a salad of tomatoes and onions, some freshly made red lentil Dahl and some cottage cheese.

No comments: