Thursday, November 06, 2008

My Chili


I think I have brushed on my love for chili in other posts, but in case you didn't catch it: I love chili! There is hardly ever a time between the months of October-April when chili doesn't sound good to me. It's so simple, a one pot dish, and very easy to make! There are also an infinite varieties out there.

And speaking of variety, chili is a very personal dish, indeed. PLEASE, oh please, I hope that you make your own chili and that you don't buy it in a can! It is such an experience, and putting together a pot full of your own favorite ingredients and flavors is a very important practice of meditation and self-awareness.

With that said, my chili preference came from my mother. I don't know if it's the best chili recipe in the world, but it's my choice. To me, it is the way chili is supposed to taste.  As much as I am like my mother I am not a clone, so I have definitely made a few minor adjustments.  I use a different variety of beans, and have added a few more spices.  

So, the recipe uses just about the only two foods I do allow to come from a can- tomatoes and beans.  Of course, it would be healthier and tastier if I crushed the tomatoes and cooked the beans myself, but I say that would definitely take the 'easy' out of the recipe.  And it's pretty healthy and tasty as is.  I usually double the recipe, and use all organic ingredients.

Annika's Chili

1/2 yellow onion
2 cloves garlic
1 lb ground beef
1-28 ounce can diced tomatoes
1-14 ounce can kidney beans
1-14 ounce can black beans
1-14 ounce can pinto beans
1/2 can tomato paste
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons cinnamon
salt and pepper to taste

Over medium heat saute the onions and garlic in a little bit of oil until clear and tender.  Add the beef and cook until browned.  Add the tomatoes, beans, and tomato paste.  Add the spices, adjusting for your personal taste.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Simmer on low for as long as you can, or better yet let chili sit in the fridge overnight.


1 comment:

The Saunders said...

I always love your mama's chili.........i think I will make it tomorrow!