Sunday, November 23, 2008

Bacon- My New Favorite Health Food!


You may be thinking that I've found some fascinating research about how bacon has some newly discovered antioxidant, super vitamin, or electrolyte. The truth is that bacon is the same old bacon it has always been, pig fat and all.  But don't be disappointed! 

You see, I've always shyed away from bacon, just assuming that it was a bad, unhealthy, fattening piece of food that I did not need in my diet.  After all, one tiny strip is packed with fat.  And then I thought to myself, "Wait...one tiny strip is packed with fat?"  And you don't need to go to culinary school to know what comes along with fat: flavor. So if a=b and b=c, then one tiny strip is packed with flavor!  

And then when I thought about it more, I decided that bacon is probably one of the world's oldest foods, which always adds food credibility to me.

My mind has been running back to all the recipes I've seen that start with a strip of bacon in the pan to add flavor.  Soups, stews, eggs, but my favorites are vegetables.  Which brings me to by new obsession with bacon. You see, I, unfortunately, do not have a good relationship with greens.  Don't get me wrong, I looove me some broccoli, green beans, even brussels sprouts when done correctly, but leafy greens just don't really turn my crank.  I can do raw spinach, but even then it's a relationship of tolerance.  But add some chopped bacon to a pan and then saute some greens in it, and I am elated.  I can eat spinach, kale, chard, dandelion greens (all those super healthy, super bitter foods), and actually enjoy it!  This is what, to me, makes bacon a health food.

Needless to say that now, especially during these cold months, bacon is new a staple in my household.  Oh, lastly, (I know you've heard this a brazillion times from me now) I need to again point out that no food is a healthy food if it is grown without sunlight smashed against other pigs, living in it's own feces, force fed, and injected with growth hormones and antibiotics. Just a friendly reminder. Now, enjoy your new bacon-healthy lifestyle!

1 comment:

The Saunders said...

Not a blog I would have expected from you, but refreshing! I think bacon is great in the right dishes and now I can sleep at night knowing I have your stamp of approval :) Hehe Love you!