Monday, December 18, 2006

Lalo's tacos

Living in Hillcrest there are so many different places to grab a bite to eat. Some of the more strip mall types are often looked over and simply ignored. This can be a mistake Bai Yook Thai cuisine is one of our fave places for takeout, Wine Encounter has a really great selection and Unlce Biff's cookies are wonderful!
There are many places that I must admit I often over look also, and Lalo's tacos had been one of these. Perhaps due to the reputation of some small fast food Mexican restaurants I was just afraid of the lard, but I shouldn't have been so alarmed- Lalo's offers some of the more healthy Mexican food around.
The reason I ended up at Lalo's was actually due to a fault of Chipotle, Chipotle's managers might think its location in central Hillcrest is a great one, but when parking is that hard it must occasionally hurt there business. This was the case for us, after driving around for a couple of minutes and realizing that nothing was available we headed instead to Lalo's which has parking (albeit shared with a dozen or so other stores and always very crowded).
Entering the store I was very impressed with the range of the menu, not only were there dozens of different tacos to try there were also many other dishes, including burritos with wholewheat tortillas. Something I have often lamented the lack of at other Mexican establishments.

We ordered our food happily and were pleased to see it arrive within minutes.

Of course my burrito (chicken) with its wholewheat tortilla was not the best I have had in San Diego, but it was good and for the $4 or so I paid for it exceptionally good value. Most of all I appreciated the healthy aspect, the wholewheat and the distinct lack of dripping lard.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read your blog all the time, we tend to have the same taste in food and I've found some great places thanks to you. I just wanted to suggest the Italian restaurant in that same shopping center: Antico Tuscano. It's authentic Tuscan food, as said by my Italian friend who moved here from Italy last year.

KC said...

Thanks Rica Girl!