Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Herb Vinaigrette


Many thanks to the person who left this issue of Martha Stewart Living on the plane for me to find and read from my flight from Seattle to Burbank a few weeks ago. In this magazine I discovered the world's most perfect salad dressing recipe, made by Chad Robertson of Tartine Bakery in San Francisco (which of course now I'm dying to go to). I have already made the vinaigrette three times, and not only does it taste great on any and every form of leafy green, but it makes an amazing dip for bread also. It has the perfect amount of tang for my taste, however you may want to add a teaspoon of sugar or honey which is also acceptable.

If you are like me, you will have to go out and buy sherry vinegar. Don't substitute with a different vinegar! I promise you, you will be glad. The other ingredients are very easy to buy and keep around.

ps. I cheated and used dried herbs.
pps. Sorry no pictures again! I just get way too into my cooking to stop and find my camera. I already broke one of my resolutions! Aaaah, the photos will come, I promise!

Herb Vinaigrette

1 shallot, finely chopped
1 tablespoon grainy mustard
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
1/2 teaspoon each finely chopped fresh {or dried!} tarragon and thyme
1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

Whisk together shallot, mustard, lemon juice, sherry vinegar, thyme, tarragon, salt and pepper. Gradually whisk in oil.

No comments: