Saturday, December 04, 2010

More love.


Trader Joes can really frustrate me sometimes- like when they constantly seem to discontinue my favorite items or when they allow a high fructose or partially hydrogenated ingredient slip into their products. On the other hand, sometimes I wish there really was a Trader Joe so I could kiss him- like when organic baby spinach is $1.99 a bag when elsewhere it's $4.59, or when I bake mini quiches for a party. Today, it's because of the chocolate pictured above.

Bakers an pastry chefs know what a pain it can be to melt chocolate for recipes (such as brownies, truffles, and anything chocolate dipped). Either you have to spend ridiculous amounts of time chopping pounds of chocolate or you have to pay ridiculous amounts of money to buy melting wafers. The only brand that I knew was commonly available was Guittard, and a 1 lb box can run anywhere from $9.99 to $12.99 or more.

So, thank you, thank you, Trader Joes, for marketing your own chocolate wafers, and pricing them at $1.99 for 8 oz. Not only is that price incredible, but the chocolate is good quality and quite amazing in taste. It's 100% cocoa mass (translation: only the basic ingredients of chocolates, with no fillers, preservatives, or emulsifiers), which is surprising enough. Even more shocking to me was how nicely flavored and textured the chocolate is. No seriously, I've been eating the wafers on their own or with a bit of peanut butter spread on top (a dangerous road....)


No comments: