Saturday, March 14, 2009

Save the Best for First


I really wasn't much of a cook four (and three quarters!) years ago when I got married. Out of pure necessity of life, I began to dabble and experiment and eventually began to love the joy of making delicious foods to nourish Raj and I. I began my food journey with two books, How to Be a Domestic Goddess by Nigella Lawson, and Everyday Italian by Giada De-Italian-Lady-With-the Huge-Teeth-Laurentis. In my next blog (I'm doing good with previews lately, yes?) I will talk about Nigella, but today is about Italian. For brunch, you ask? Yes!

So back to Everyday Italian. I must admit I can't stand the TV show on the Food Network. I find myself not paying attention to the recipes but rather pondering over the host's giant bobble head, and the music and camera angles make me feel slightly uncomfortable (as in, a little bit weirded out that I may be watching more than a food show if you know what I mean). BUT...I have made probably 70% of the recipes from that book, and they have all been simply delightful.

Our favorite is this frittata. It is so simple, and I usually have all the ingredients on hand, so it really has become one of my best "go to" recipes. I most often make this when we have friends over for brunch and serve it with fresh berries. Of course, the best thing about it (like many brunch dishes) is that it's as good for early meals as it is for dinner. In fact, just thinking about it made me decide to make it for dinner along with some turkey meatball soup and a baguette.

Please, I dare say, try it at any time of the day that makes you happy.

Frittata With Potato and Prosciutto by Giada De Laurentis

  • 4 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 (7-ounce) potato, peeled, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 6 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
  • 2 ounces sliced prosciutto, coarsely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves

Heat the oil in a heavy 9 1/2-inch-diameter skillet over medium heat. Add the potato, onion, and garlic. Season the potato mixture with salt and pepper, to taste. Saute over medium-low heat until the potato is golden and crisp on the outside, tender inside, about 7 to 10 minutes.

Preheat the broiler. Whisk the eggs, cream, Parmesan, prosciutto, and basil in a medium bowl to blend. Stir the egg mixture into the potato mixture in the skillet. Cook over medium-low heat until the egg mixture is almost set but the top is still loose, about 3 minutes. Place the skillet under the broiler. Broil until the top is set and golden brown, about 4 minutes. Using a rubber spatula, loosen the frittata from skillet and slide the frittata onto a cutting board. Cut the frittata into 12 wedges.

No comments: