Thursday, July 24, 2008

Prepare to Meet Your Baker

People expect fresh pastries in the morning. Scratch that- people demand fresh pastries in the morning- and while you stumble into a bakery at 7:00 am, feeling like no one should have to get up as early as you did, guess who's already been up for five plus hours? That's right, I have! I have already snoozed five times, gotten mad at the world for making me get out of bed, gotten ready, driven to work, and been through nearly an entire work day long before you walk through the door in search of your morning coffee and carby breakfast.
I'm not bitter. On the contrary- I love it! Well, honestly the getting up early part bites (haha, bites), and I don't exactly get up that early anymore (more on that later). But no matter what the time of day, for me, and many other baker folk like me, there is nothing more satisfying than the joy on your face when you bite into the pastry that you have been craving all morning. It sounds cheesy, but goodness knows I'm not getting paid by the millions, so that is the real reward for the work (that and the leftovers I get to take home).
It has only been about two years since culinary school for me, but this baker, who has been in the industry for two decades, gives another, more "seasoned" opinion. Don't let us fool you though. The job is full of smiles and sprinkles, but being a culinary trained baker has its downfalls. The worst part is that I now know what high-quality baked goods are supposed to taste like, and this severely limits my options of recipes to use and places to buy pastries. In short, I am a food snob.
I do solemnly swear that I will continue to keep you (my fellow food snobs) updated on all the good food places and recipes that I find. Unlike morning pastries, however, I can't promise that they'll always be waiting for you when you wake up…
For those of you who have already subscribed to, and enjoyed this blog, fear not! As much as I wish we could live on sweets and bread, I know that dream will never become reality. In the future will have many other savory bits of food goodness to share with you as well.
It was nice meeting you!

1 comment:

The Saunders said...

Good Job! Can't wait to read more.